Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Weaving Together my Favorite Materials


Hi all. I just thought I'd show you what I'm working on right now. When it comes to creating, I have three favorite materials. I'm sure you can guess that fiber is on the top of that list and it's pretty much any and all types of fiber. Secondly, I love beads. I can't explain it, I'm just drawn to them. If you saw my bead collection, you would probably send me to a 12 step program. I love glass and lampwork, crystals, semi precious stones and ceramics. For someone whose main area of work is not jewelry, I have a huge inventory. In my defense, I do spin beaded yarn, but who am I kidding? I have more than I need. My third is metal. I am a big fan of metal work. I love punch metal and wire creations. Not so much gold, but it's the copper and silver I like. I think metal is the yang to my fiber yin. I mostly work with super soft delicate stuff, so I need strong, stable metal around too.

So I've been walking around with a few designs in my head that incorporate my three favorites. On my bead loom right now I have glass beads, coiled wire and wool locks. My husband asked the obvious quesion, "Is anyone really going to want to wear that furry, wire, beaded thing?" The only answer I can give is my usual one. "I have no idea." Of course it's appealing to me because it contains my three most loved elements, but to anyone else, who knows? All I know is that I had this idea in my head and it needed to come out.

No comments: