Sunday, May 3, 2009

Yarnbombing


I usually do my blogging in the morning, but I just stumbled onto this and it really caught me by surprise! Has anyone else heard of this? Yarnbombing. Really. I'm not kidding!

So I guess this is a new way to take fiber arts to the streets. For some, it seems, the world is their gallery. So how did I find out about it? I was tweeting and one of my friends was complaining about SQUIDOO. So I popped over to squidoo to see what it was all about. While I was looking, I typed fiber arts (of course) into a search box. One of the top articles was about Yarnbombing.

Here's one of the articles from that search:

FLUFFY FUN
"When it comes to crazy counter-culture, there's one bit of fluffy one that's taking countries by storm these days, and its called "yarnbombing".

Billed as a form of "guerilla granny grafitti", it can be found in the streets of London, Mexico City, and Vancouver, B.C. to name a few far flung places where wicked wool-gathers hang out.

So exactly what is yarnbombing?

Well, according to one the world's most creative and prolific yarn bombers, Magda Sayeg, (a 35-year-old lass from Texas and founder of Knitta Please), "It's about making people smile and bringing art out of the galleries so everyone can appreciate it". And she should know, she's been all around the globe embelleshing the built environment as she goes. Her thrilling threads can be found hanging from the Great Wall of China, blowing in the breeze at several Paris landmarks, and even on the Welcome sign to the Manhattan on the Brooklyn Bridge."

___________

Image Credit: Perri Lewis, The Guardian, UK -- Magda Sayeg in action

This just made me more curious so I looked around a bit and found this CNN video and also one from YouTube. So what do you think? I'm still processing to tell you the truth. I can't help but find it appealing, but i guess it is grafitti. Is grafitti OK if it's cute? What about in a couple months after it's gotten rained on and mud splashed? Does the same artist come back and clean up? Will this spread the love of fiber arts or give it a bad name? Hmm....

Image credit: www.squidoo.com/yarnbombing

1 comment:

Huckleberry Arts said...

I think EXCELLENT !!! Marketing Talk about eye catching too what a way to really throw your style out the world I am all for it as long as no one gets hurt of course :)