Monday, July 20, 2009

Asheville Grove (3.4oz/136 handspun yards)


Here's my newest yarn. I named this skein Asheville Grove. Normally I tend to let the color of a yarn guide me in my name choice, but this time I was inspired the the town where I purchased the roving, Asheville. On a visit to North Carolina, I stopped in at a store named Homecrafts in the Grove Arcade. The Arcade is a collection of fine arts and crafts shops in the heart of downtown Asheville. It is there that I found this gorgeous Merino roving. You can read more about this trip here.

I always like to try something a little different each time I spin. This time I made one ply thick, about worsted weight, and the other ply thin. When twisted together they create a light texture and a very subtle thick and thin. I like the effect because it's novel without being too eccentric. The color graduates in depth from one end to the other in a beautiful cascade of pink, gray and purple. There are 136 yards to create something truly one of a kind!

2 comments:

Live, Love, Laugh, Write! said...

That's beautiful :) Now that I've started knitting and crocheting I might just have to get some of your stuff at that point! Let me know if you want to do a yarn/jewelry trade ever!

Unknown said...

It's so beautiful! It makes me want to learn how to ply!