Friday, September 25, 2009

Hand Dyed Falkland Top ~ It's coming!

A couple weeks ago, one of my regular customers asked me about carrying Falkland Wool Roving. She is a needle felter and creates lifelike miniature animals. "...Falkland seems so much faster for covering projects and no fuzzies." she explained.

Quite a few felt artists shop at Wind Rose Fiber Studio, so if Falkland wool works well for their art, why not add it to my inventory? So that's just what I'm doing.

This luxurious fiber comes from the Falkland Islands in the southern Atlantic Ocean. The 5" staple length makes this fiber very strong, yet it remains incredibly soft and dyes like a dream. This wool is processed in Italy using snow melt from the Alps enhancing it's whiteness.

I'm starting out with natural, earthy colors, but I'll be adding some brighter shades as well. I know the spinning crowd is going to want to try this fiber out. The generous staple length makes it a terrific choice for beginning spinners. It would also lend itself well to projects like rugs, bask
ets or handbags where strength is a consideration. Plus, it feels incredibly soft next to the skin making it a nice choice for wearables too. It's just so versatile!


You can now also buy dye free Falkland Wool at Wind Rose. Enjoy the natural white color or have fun dyeing it your favorite shades. Right now I have it available in 1oz and 2oz lots. Please contact me through the shop if you need more!

Falkland Wool is also in stock in my ArtFire shop: 1oz, 2oz.

In the picture above you see Sun Touched and Chestnut Brown Falkland Top drying in the sun. They'll be in the shop by tomorrow with more colors soon to follow!

No comments: