Friday, January 8, 2010

Get With It Jenn!


Jenn? Oh yea, that's me!

I'm poking a little fun at myself today. You see, I tend to live in two worlds. One is very modern. I spend hours everyday working at my computer. For my stores and my blog I have done all of my own art and design work. Like most of us indie artisans, I do my own accounting and marketing. Even most of my friendships are online as I am a semi-recent cross country transplant that doesn't get out much.

I was listening to an audio of Daniels Pink's book
A Whole New Mind last night. As I listened, I sat at my spinning wheel, spinning some of my own hand painted roving in my studio surrounded by things of my own making. As Mr Pink explained how the successful people of the future will need to develop their right brain ability to design, I smiled to myself. "I'm not this guy's target audience." Still, it's good to know I may have a future.

But I digress. My point is that part of my daily life is very modern and then I sneak off and do old fashioned things like spin yarn from hand or make my own felt. Of course it's this sort of creativity that nourishes my very existence, but it's funny too. It's like living with one foot in the middle ages and the other in the future. It's a dance I do every day and rather than feeling off kilter, I feel incredibly balanced.

Every so often though, my mind gets a little mixed up. A customer bought a Gift Certificate from my shop yesterday and gave me an email address. Now I usually send these out in the regular mail, so I stumbled in the middle of my dance routine, but of course I can email a Gift Certificate! The crazy thing is that I hadn't thought about it. My mind must have been back in the old world when I made the initial listing.


So if you buy a Gift Certificate from Wind Rose, you don't have to wait for the snail mail. I have boogied my listing into the modern day to include email. With all the time I spend sitting in front of this computer, I don't know why I haven't done it sooner. The lines of my dual life just get blurred sometimes.

No comments: