Saturday, January 23, 2010

Vintage Automobile Bonnet ~ Pattern in the Works Part III


Here's the winning picture of my final work through and the shot that will go on the pattern. I have other views too, both sides and a back view.

This weekend I hope to get the pattern written and be able to offer it for sale by the beginning of the week. Initially I thought of this pattern as "easy" but I think it ranks more on an intermediate level. The button hole straps and the picots are not difficult to make, but they mean that you'll need to feel really comfortable following pattern directions.

I've enjoyed transcribing this pattern into one we can easily make and use today. Believe it or not, the entire hat was made with just one skein of Patons Classic Merino Wool which comes in 223 yard skeins. The Open Weave Scarf makes up with under 100 yards so this whole combination uses very little yarn. The other great thing is that this is a one size fits most design. The pattern will work well for head sizes from 21" to 23" which means from youth to adult.

I think what I love about it the most is the versatility. I've been making the hat solid and the scarf variegated, but you could go the other way around. Also, you could have a lot of fun playing with different scarves and scarf ties. It even occurred to me that a smaller version of the bonnet could be made with the scarf tied under the chin for a toddler. How cute would that be? The bonnet could be accessorized with flowers and leaves or free form shapes. There are so many possibilities and ways to make this pattern your own!

No comments: