Thursday, February 25, 2010

1895 Miser's Purse ~ My Latest Vintage Reproduction Project ~ Part III


Hello, I'm taking back something I said yesterday and adding something new.

First, let me just say that I seem to be forming a pattern in my pattern writing. Right before I'm ready to post my final product, I find something wrong. Last time I got the year wrong for my 1885 Baby's Bib. I was writing down 1895 up until just before I published. This time I've been calling my project a Miser Bag when I should have been calling it a Miser's Purse. It's a small correction, but I believe in getting my details right.

In the same spirit, I decided I had to add a beaded trim. The original pattern (I'm working on getting a first generation picture for you) has a beaded trim, and so shall mine. Of course one of the "fun" things about reproducing these vintage patterns in filling in the gaps. The original pattern just says, "add a fringe of steel beads to the ends and laps". In response, I have designed a beaded fringe that is similar in appearance to that of the original image. Of course any fringe would be fine, but once again, I'm trying to acheive a look much like the purse from 1895. I think that's what makes this whole "Vintage Made Modern" thing cool.



I also added a fringe to my brown wool miser's purse that seemed to photograph even better than the green. In both cases you should be able to click on the picture for an enlarged image.

It's kind of a strange and subjective thing I'm doing here. I'm reproducing vintage patterns, but not transcribing them word for word. As a matter of fact, once I get to the point where I understand the gist of a pattern, I stop looking at it altogether and the patterns I'm writing are basically from scratch. I form a line between keeping the design authentic while at the same time, making a product that works well in our modern world. Not only am I taking the hooks and yarn we now use into consideration, but I'm also looking for patterns that I can still see us really using everyday. I guess I'm trying to keep us linked to our rich heritage while still enjoying the present and looking toward the future.

No comments: