Thursday, July 15, 2010

Silk, Cotton & Jute Novelty Yarn


Here's my latest spinning for the Tour de Fleece 2010. I was in my studio and became inspired to make an organic novelty yarn. I started off by making a ply combining lace weight jute with ginned cotton. I allowed the jute to show through because I wanted a little of that color contrast. I also made the cotton just a little nubby to give it some texture. What's a novelty yarn without texture?

For the next ply, I simply spun some lace weight Tussah Silk. Then I plied my ginned cotton jute and silk together. The result is unlike anything I've ever made before. The outside of the yarn is soft and the silk gives it that luster. The jute core gives the yarn a more structural feel making it a good choice for things like hats or purses. This is a yarn that will hold shape well. It's would be very cool in a fiber sculpture.

Well, sometimes I don't really know where my inspiration will lead. This time I'm really happy with my end result. I'm always trying to come up with something different that I've never done or seen before. This Silk, Cotton & Jute Novelty Yarn definitely fits that description. I also like how organic it is. I think it would be well suited for anyone who creates primitive or folk art.

No comments: