Sunday, July 18, 2010

Weaving from Malaysia ~ Santa Fe International Folk Art Market

Today I'm back with my third post showcasing some of the lovely pieces I purchased at the International Folk Art Market. So let me take you to Malaysia and the wonderful weaving of Edric Ong.




The green case caught my eye first as I am drawn to all things green. Beyond the color, the detail of the work is captivating. The band around the top of the case is echoed in the pocket beneath. The main compartment is lined with a second layer of weaving and then you have this striking geometric chain attaching the lid to the case. It's strong enough to act as a handle, but even better, you'll never misplace part of your case. I love it!

I was also delighted to find these white nesting baskets. The three point design seems fanciful and even modern somehow, yet I suspect they are anything but. In reality, the shape is quite practical. Not only do they nest neatly one inside the other, but both ends of each basket can stand on these three pointed legs. These three containers can be used as six individual little baskets. They would be nice on a vanity to sort jewelry. I love containers that help me sort and stay organized. I'm torn though. They look special just sitting on a table. They are like magical little sculptures.

This booth was one of the winners of the Award of Excellence. This is part of a handicraft flagship program by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The goal of this program is to provide a marketplace for handicrafts which supports the artisans and their trades. It also looks to establish a level of excellence as well as cultural authenticity. As an added benefit, the buyers can be certain that these award winning products were manufactured in a socially and environmentally responsible way. That's a lot to feel good about!

3 comments:

WonderWhyGal said...

Beautiful!

The skill and workmanship put into each of these items...it's hard to believe that the world went to mass production.

Jenn said...

I agree. There is an Etsy seller who makes a great t-shirt with the words "END MASS PRODUCTION, BUY HANDMADE" on the front. Whenever I wear it, I feel empowered somehow. I like being a walking billboard for the handmade movement!

http://www.etsy.com/listing/51296419/end-mass-production-womens-tshirt

Laura Sullivan said...

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Market. You can become a fan on facebook and post your comments there, too!