Thursday, August 5, 2010

Weaving from Peru ~ Santa Fe International Folk Art Market


Believe it or not, I still have more to share from my visit to the Folk Art Market. I spotted this weaving from a distance and allowed its magnetic pull to draw me in. As someone who admires weaving, there are two cultures that I particularly respect, the Navajo and the weavers of Peru. This neck pouch is distinctly Peruvian.

I wish I had more of a story to go along with my woven pouch. The truth is, that this pouch and a few others, along with woven straps or belts, were sort of a side note at a booth that featured a wood carver from Peru. There was a small photograph of the man who wove the pouches. Perhaps he and the wood carver are part of the same community.

The women who were volunteering at the booth were very enthusiastic. They wore several woven straps around their necks as jewelry and one of the ladies had one tied around her hat. They seemed pleased when I identified the origin of the work right away. I picked out a strap to go with my pouch as we shared our mutual admiration for the weaving.


Returning to the pouch, this particular style is often worn with more of a spiritual intent. Items in the pouch may be there because they contain a comforting or healing quality to the wearer.

I'm wearing it right now to draw inspiration for this post. When you feel it around your neck, it evokes a sense of serenity. You feel as though you posses something special and personal. It's like wearing a locket and you are the only one who knows what's inside. You can choose to share it, or keep it private. It belongs to you and becomes an extension of yourself.

1 comment:

Zzz said...

:) and ♥, beautiful.