Tuesday, November 2, 2010

A Crocheted Coral Reef, The Smithsonian & My Friend Hanna


The Hyperbolic Crochet Coral Reef is now on display in Sant Ocean Hall at the Smithsonian in Washington, D.C. The show runs from October 16, 2010 - April 24, 2011, but I have to confess, there's another reef that I'm more interested in today!

The project I want to share is The Smithsonian Community Reef also on display for the same dates as above, only this one can be found in The National Museum of Natural History.

This summer, my dear friend Hanna (one of my first crochet students), was taking a class on Fibers and Textiles given by the Institute for the Arts. She was given the opportunity to learn about hyperbolic crochet and also to contribute to the Smithsonian exhibit. How many people can say their work is in the Smithsonian? Well Hanna Poeschl can!



Hanna crocheted four pieces for the community reef.

The Smithsonian informs, "...the Crochet Reef project also operates in the tradition of community art practice. Over the past five years the Wertheims and the Institute have worked with communities all over the world to create local crochet reefs in cities as far flung as New York, London, Melbourne, Cape Town and Riga (Latvia). The latest of these “Satellite Reefs” is the Smithsonian Community Reef..."

The display looked so massive to me that I wondered if Hanna was able to locate her hyperbolic crochet forms. She said it took some hunting, but she found all four. She also got to see her name in print as a contributor to the project.

I'm so glad her parents had their camera ready. This is something she'll want to remember and to be able to share with others. I would also like to thank Hanna for allowing me to share her photographs with you. They are spectacular!


No comments: