Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Tatting Class 4


I'm working my way through Learn to Tat by Janette Baker. This is a book that comes with a companion dvd. So far I'm impressed with the instructions. They are in a very sensible order and easy to follow. I feel like I'm getting a solid introduction into the world of tatting.

Class 4 focuses on ring and chain instructions. You can see that I am working with two threads now. It's more practice in making those close joins, reversing my work and also how to handle the second string. I used DMC size 8 Perle Cotton.

Now I'm working on the 5th lesson and I feel like I'm getting down to the nitty-gritty. I'm learning how to have my tatting contain as few knots as possible. I'm making a practice piece in which I have carried the beginning threads along with my work to weave them in. I'm also about to find out how to join a new thread when it's time to refresh my shuttle. I'll show you how that goes tomorrow.

Also today, I want to thank Gina for her comment on yesterday's tatting post. She writes a blog called Threads of a Tatting Goddess and was kind enough to recommend some good practice threads. Her blog is a wonderful place to find tatting patterns, guides and tutorials as well as a long list of resources. She also offers plenty of inspiration. I love the autumn leaves she shares in her Oct. 31st post!

No comments: