Wednesday, May 11, 2011

A Knitting Do Over & Over & Over...

I haven't posted in the past couple of days because I've had nothing to show for myself. If you're new to my blog, I've been teaching myself how to knit and my latest project is this lovely 5th Avenue Infinity Scarf. This is my first time working with circular needles and only my third knitting pattern.

I had to take a close-up of my handspun yarn that I'm using because I don't have much of a scarf yet. In fact, I'm on row 2... again! I have started over with this project, um... well it's got to be at least three times. Who knew that what would keep me from being a knitting success is my ability, or lack thereof, to count! So maddening! It feels utterly ridiculous to lose count and I've only made things harder on myself by using a lace weight rather than a worsted. The thread is fine enough that sometimes I mistake two stitches for one and I have to keep going back to correct myself.

If that weren't bad enough, yesterday afternoon I realized that I've been misreading one of the rows and therefore have been doing the pattern wrong all along. So here I am, starting all over again! My stubborn nature won't allow me to switch to a thicker yarn because I think this yarn is going to be really pretty if I ever manage to make it happen.

You can see I've resorted to using multiple, colorful stitch markers. lol! I'll do anything to at this point to get myself back on track. So that's what I've been up to. I like to keep it real here on my blog. It's more fun to post about my successes than my frustrations, but it feels cathartic to let them out. Hopefully, by sharing my challenges, I can bond with my fellow beginners. Solidarity!

3 comments:

Kelly said...

so, stitch markers help you keep count? If so, then I need to get me some of those....lol I keep looking at my knitting, but I have gotten myself into a project that is not allowing me any time to knit. Hopefully in a couple of weeks I will be all caught up. I am going to keep up with your knitting and feel better knowing I'm not the only one that seems to start over and over.......

Jenn said...

There is comfort in company! :D

Artista said...

I'm just learning to knit too! I've done 3 scarves and 3 felted bowls. I hope to cast on a real pattern soon.