Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Crochet Community Service ~ 2


Earlier this summer I talked about this new volunteer project with which I've become involved. On Tuesday mornings, I drive into downtown Phoenix, meet up with my fellow instructor Ann, and teach a crochet class to people who are working to raise themselves out of poverty. The hope is that one day we'll market our handmade products. For now, we're teaching new skills and having a good time getting to know one another.

Today was a fun day. We made felted bangles from crocheted pencil roving. It was great because everyone was able to make their bracelets from start to finish during class time. I think felting projects are a lot of fun because it feels like play. Water and soap bubbles tend to bring out the kid in all of us.






It's a super sweet class. Several of the students chose to make their bracelets for someone else. Also, I brought my 14-year-old son with me to help out and they were so warm and welcoming. I had warned my son ahead of time that they would probably make a fuss over him. I don't think he believed me, but he does now.

Next week I think we'll be making crocheted hemp charm bracelets. I brought some in to show the group and everyone got excited about them. I'll be sure to share our future adventures in crochet.

No comments: