Wednesday, August 24, 2011

My Tunisian Crochet Project


On August 19th, I shared the beginning of my Tunisian crochet project. Since then, I have changed yarns twice. This picture is of the second yarn choice. This yarn is a little heavier than the sock weight suggested by the pattern and I was also using a larger hook. I like the look of this, because you can really see the pattern in this yarn. I guess I'm being fickle with this project though, because I have changed back to a sock weight.As much as I like this yarn, I think that the finished piece would be too warm for where I live (the outskirts of Phoenix) and it would also be kind of pricey. This is Boboli yarn by Berroco in color 5305 which runs about $15 a hank. I'm guessing this project would take at least 6 hanks. Ouch!

My new, and I hope final yarn choice is Serenity Sock Weight in navy. I picked this up at Joann's yesterday and while it sort of freaks me out that there is a picture of Deborah Norville on the package (I try to avoid "collections"), I like the color. For a navy, it has a lot of grey in it and I think it will look nice with black, white and blue which are kind of wardrobe staples. Plus, it's $4 a pop, so even if I still need about six skeins, it's a nicer price. I should also mention that fiber content is pretty important to me and sock yarns are usually better that way than most craft store yarns. This one is 50% superwash merino, 25% bamboo and 25% nylon. It feels good, I think it will have a nice drape and it will be easy care.

So I'm starting over for the third time. This is no way to get a project done! On the other hand, now that I've had all of this practice, the pattern has become second
nature. I've avoided telling the name of this pattern because I find it kind of embarrassing. Okay, here goes. The project I'm making is called "Mystifying Embrace". For some reason this name bothers me like an overly syrupy love song or something. Couldn't they have called it... um... well, anything else? I shouldn't talk. I'm sure I've come up with some goofy names for my stuff too and it's a very pretty Möbius ring wrap. Hey, there's a good name. How about Pretty Möbius Ring Wrap?

Where can you find this "Mystifying Embrace"? It's part of Get Hooked on Tunisian Crochet and it's on the cover too. See? Very pretty. Hopefully, next time I chat about this project, I'll be much farther along!

10 comments:

Spinster Beth said...

If someone embraced me and I was mystified by it, I would definitely have some questions. "Mystic" embrace perhaps ... ;-)

I look forward to seeing the finished project. Maybe it will prod me to try Tunisian again!

I like the sock yarn blends Joanne's has ... Norville, Lion Brand, Bamboo For Ewe, etc. They're very nice to knit with.

Cassie Sanders said...

I was wondering what type of pattern that is with the tunisian stitch that your making with the navy blue yarn. I love how it looks with the grouping of
3. I was trying to figure it out but I can't get it.

Jenn said...

Hi Cassie, You YO, Tks 3, and then you draw the YO over the three loops you just created. Then repeat.

Cassie Sanders said...

What is Tks? I don't mean to sound like a dink but I have no idea what that means. I've only been crochet for 2 monthes and I've never came across that abb.

Cassie Sanders said...

It's a knit stitch isn't it? I think I got it now sorry and thank you for telling me the pattern. It is very beautiful.

Jenn said...

Yes, it sounds like you've got it. Tks is Tunisian knit stitch. Sorry for using the abbreviation.

Cassie Sanders said...

No problem it got me to learn something new, actually 2 somethings. Thank you again and you have a very beautiful page. I've added it to my favorites list.

Unknown said...

I know this is a very old post but I was wondering if you ever posted a picture of the finished shawl? I want to make it but I am having a hard time figuring out the pattern. I wish there was a video tutorial of this beautiful piece.

Jenn said...

Hi Veronica, I left a response on your other comment too, but I didn't comment on my project. I'm a little embarrassed to say that I never finished this project. I still have it, but if I'm being totally honest, I got kind of bored. It's just endlessly going back and forth with the same stitch and I guess I need more mental stimulation than that. If you're someone who likes to crochet in front of the TV and not have to think too hard about your pattern, I think this is a good project. I have completed other Tunisian projects in the past, but this one, in the end, fell a bit flat for me.

Unknown said...

Jenn, thank you for replying to both posts.
It took me a few tries but I finally got the pattern down. Since I'm still learning tunisian crochet this shawl is perfect for me. It's allowing me to practice before I move on to more complicated projects.