Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Home Fibers ~ Part III


While in southern Virginia, I paid a visit to some dear family friends.  In this case, my reputation preceded me.  Sitting out on the dining room table, as if waiting for me, were three tatted family heirlooms.

I really wasn't expecting to see tatting when I set out to discover fiber arts in the homes of my loved ones.  I have only been tatting for a couple years now, so maybe it just wasn't on my radar.  These are all precious, however the ornament on the far right strikes me as unique.  At first glance, I thought I was looking at a classic wreath or ring design, but then I realized that it has been worked onto a ring that was first wrapped in crochet.  The inside loops of the tatting are a little more complicated as well.  They are actually loops within loops.  All in all, it's a pretty intricate little ornament.

Believe it or not, I have fiber finds from three more homes to share.  Just as a teaser, one of my best friends recently moved back from living in Japan for three years.  She brought back some gorgeous silks as well as a few other surprises, but first, a visit to see my sister and my mom.  Get ready for knitting and needlepoint!  

2 comments:

LadyShuttleMaker aka MadMadPotter said...

The ring is a cabone ring and is easily tatted over. The ring within a ring is called an onion ring.
My new book has a cabone ring tutorial in it. http://www.etsy.com/listing/95241572/branching-encapsulation-tatting-pattern

Jenn said...

Thank you for sharing your expertise LadyShuttleMaker!