Wednesday, February 25, 2015

The Tall Muk Luk Pattern - It's Really Happening!

It's a sunny afternoon and I'm on my back porch (my happy place) working on the tall muk luk pattern.  It occurred to me that I should take a picture lest you think I've forgotten or that I'm flaking out.  Never!  In fact, in the past week, I've had two more people comment on older posts asking for this pattern.  The requests keep coming and frankly, they are keeping me motivated. 

I'd love to tell you I'm halfway there, but the truth is, I'm off to a slow start.  It has been several years since I've even made a muk luk so I can't help but play around a little and see if I want to change anything.  For instance, on the crochet along that I published back in 2010, I used a size K crochet hook.  That's a pretty big hook and so I've been experimenting with smaller ones.  Here I have a sole crocheted in a size I (gray) and in the original K (red).  I like the look of the gray sole.  The stitches are smaller and less airy which means warmer too.  On the other hand, the K hook makes up quicker and the soles will eventually be covered with suede or some sort of fabric and will thus be plenty warm.  I think what tilts the table in red's favor, or size K, is that the fabric has more stretch and will be more comfortable I think.  The stretch factor also helps when designing multiple sizes for all of those unique footsies out there.  

So this is me, checking in to let you know that I am following through on the long awaited tall muk luk pattern.  I'll keep you updated with my progress.  Hope your day is sunny too!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

that's awesome I fell in love with these when I first saw them. I am trying to make a pair of taller ones while waiting on a pattern for them. Crocheting is my stress release and when I find something I can;t find a pattern for I find I get stressed trying to figure it out!! Ha Ha